Remember George Floyd Square in Minneapolis? The “autonomous zone” of several barricaded blocks where Floyd died last May that the city has allowed to exist — and that’s
now controlled by thuggish, left-wing militants?
Well, if you’re itching to pay a visit to George Floyd Square anytime soon — and you happen to be white — you’ll need to pay heed to the rules governing the “sacred space for community, public grief, and protest.”
What are the details?
Jorge Ventura, a field reporter for the Daily Caller, took video outside George Floyd Square and posted it Wednesday to Twitter. And besides the traffic barricades and other objects spread across the street, Ventura spotted a sign spelling out guidelines for the square:
It offers three general rules to everyone who enters as an “invited guest”:
- “Enter with reverence, humility, and openness.”
- “Care for each other by wearing a mask and ask others to wear a mask.”
- “Honor the space as a place to connect and grieve as caring humans.”
But if you’re white…
However, the longest and most detailed part of the sign is preceded by a heading that reads, “For White people in particular.” And the rules are as follows:
- “Decenter yourself and come to listen, learn, mourn, and witness. Remember you are here to support, not to be supported.”
- “Be mindful of whether your volume, pace, and movements are supporting or undermining your efforts to decenter yourself.”
- “Seek to contribute to the energy of the space, rather than drain it. Bring your own processing to other white folks so that you will not harm [black, indigenous, and people of color].”
- “Consider if you want or need to take photos and post them. Do not take photos of other people without their consent.”
- “If you witness white folks doing problematic things, speak up with compassion to take the burden [off of] Black folks and our siblings of color whenever appropriate. Seek to engage rather than escalate, so that it can be a learning moment rather than a disruption.”
How did people react?
Some observers saw nothing wrong with the rules for whites, while others had more than a few problems with them:
- “I wonder how everyone would react if any sign.. anywhere.. for anything.. said, ‘For black people in particular,'” one commenter wondered.
- “How about as a ‘white’ American I’ll just do whatever the hell I want within the confines of the law in any public space?” another user noted. “No woke pandering here. The people that cave to this idiocy are worse than the ones who demand it.”
- “The U.S. has truly lost it,” another user declared. “It’s incredible to watch.”
- “The most f***ed up part of all of this is that so many white ‘allies’ submit to this garbage,” another commenter asserted. “The tables have turned, and honestly it’s like 2% of the population feeding us this garbage. Black, white, Asian, whatever, rational humans need to object to this.”
Here’s Ventura’s clip of his moment at the George Floyd Square’s barricade:
I spoke to business owners inside George Floyd Square who say they support a memorial site for Floyd but don’t supp… https://t.co/V2Agq3kltE
— Jorge Ventura Media (@Jorge Ventura Media)1619032619.0
TheBlaze in March
took note of NewsNation correspondent Brian Entin’s rather unsettling encounter with a pair of militants who showed up while he was on camera just outside the Floyd memorial and told him to leave in no uncertain terms.
“You’re gonna be in a bad situation in a second,” one of them told Entin.
After a short exchange that included Entin explaining that he’s a media member, the militant shot back, “I don’t give a f*** who you are.” Entin took the hint and departed.
Content warning: Language:
The George Floyd memorial is an “autonomous zone” with several blocks controlled by activists. Police don’t even go… https://t.co/tLHXtegToQ
— Brian Entin (@Brian Entin)1615338802.0
According to NewsNation, Minneapolis leaders said they would reopen the barricaded autonomous zone after Derek Chauvin’s murder trial, the former police officer accused of killing Floyd. Chauvin was found guilty on all counts of murder and manslaughter Tuesday.
Source: The Blaze